No Bake Macadamia Nut Cookie Recipe
These cookies allow those following a vegetarian lifestyle to indulge themselves with a delicious treat. Zero transfat margarine made with plant sterols eliminates the need for butter, soy milk eliminates the need for milk, and carob power takes the place of cocoa powder.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 2 tablespoons carob powder
- 1/4 cup macadamia nut butter
- 3 cups oats
- Place white sugar, brown sugar, margarine, milk, and carob powder in a large pan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in macadamia nut butter until dissolved. Stir in oats until well incorporated. Drop onto a waxed paper lined cookie sheet, and place in the refrigerator to cool.
Recipe for Healthier Chocolate Chip Coffee Cookie Recipe
This recipe adds a healthy twist to an already twisted chocolate chip cookie. The first twist comes with the coffee-flavored liqueur, an addition heralded by coffee addicts everywhere. The healthy twist calls for ingredients such as margarine, egg whites instead of eggs, whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour, and dark chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate chips.
- 1 cup margarine softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 4 egg whites & 1 teaspoon of oil, beaten
- 3 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur or Bacardi Cuban rum
- 3 cups all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Pour in half the egg whites mixture and beat in, repeat with the remaining mixture, then stir in the coffee liqueur (try rum from the Bacardi family for a different flavor). Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stir into the creamed mixture. Fold in the dark chocolate chips. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.