Healthier Peanut Butter Brownie Recipe
This recipe calls for whole wheat flour, all natural peanut butter, egg whites, sugar with less processing, sea salt, and margarine to enable you to have your dessert and eat it too! Substitute standard Ingredients for regular peanut butter brownies.
- 1/2 cup Smucker's or Laura Scudder's all natural peanut butter
- 4 egg whites & 2 teaspoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed sugar
- 4 tablespoons margarine softened
- 2/3 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the peanut butter and margarine. Add the sugar, vanilla, egg whites, and oil and beat until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Add to the peanut butter and margarine mixture and mix until well blended. Stir in the peanuts.
- Spread batter evenly into pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack and cut into 2-inch squares.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe for Apple Bar Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats, such as Quaker Oats
- 1 cup low fat margarine
- 4 tablespoons low fat margarine
- 6 cups thinly sliced apples
- Mix flour, salt and baking soda. Add brown sugar and oatmeal, mix well. Cut in 1 cup margarine
- Spread half of the crumb mixture in a buttered 9 x 13 pan.
- Put apples on top of bottom layer. Cover with remaining crumb mixture and dot with 4 tablespoons margarine.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 to 45 minutes. It is great served with ice cream!
*Tip* After slicing the apples, sprinkle the slices with drops of lemon juice. The lemon juice will keep the apples from browning.